« Home | "Displaced" » | Down » | Will » | Where in the World...? » | Seven » | Around Cyberworld in Five Days » | Win Some, Lose Some » | On Pause » | Back to ABC » | I've Got One Hand In My Pocket (and the other one ... »

List

While everybody else is busy with his or her Christmas list, I have been obsessing about a list of my own.

I shall call this my Preparing for Zambia List (a.k.a. Things to Do Before Leaving for My VSO Placement List). Here goes:

  • Fix travel papers
  • Practice riding the bicycle (It’s probably been more than 20 years since the last time that I’ve actually ridden one!)
  • Learn to drive the motorbike
  • Take a million and one vaccine shots and/or preventive medication for Diphtheria-Polio-Tetanus, Measles, Hepa A and B, TB, Flu, Pneumonia, Yellow Fever, Rabies, Meningitis, Malaria, etc.
  • Undergo a full dental check-up
  • Learn basic Nyanja
  • Read VSO reference materials (i.e., Volunteer Handbook, Health and Security Handbook, Volunteers and Development book, among others)
  • Review on debate formats and rules
  • Read up on Leadership theories
  • Collect reference materials on Leadership, Youth development, Fund raising, etc.
  • Read up on Zambia’s socio-political history and current events
  • Watch more football (soccer) to familiarize myself with the sport (No more live basketball games for me in Zambia…boohoohoo!)
  • Learn how to really cook (And I don't mean 'survival cooking,' which is the only kind of cooking I know as of yet. Harhar.)
  • Shop for appropriate clothes (i.e., collared blouses and ankle-length skirts), footwear, and other paraphernalia (Arrgh…I hate shopping!)

This really isn’t a bad list. Not bad at all. A big chunk of it sounds like fun. The catch, however, is that I have to accomplish all these before February 19 (my departure date) on top of finishing my on-going projects (a.k.a. "rackets") with two organizations and attending another VSO training course.

No time for dilly-dallying now. Every day counts.

Labels:

this might not fit the category "preparing for zambia" but something to do before leaving for your VSO experience anyway:

sulitin ang Brownman sa 70s (and xaymaca? and/or consipracy?). hehehehe.

Post a Comment